Article 1: Organizers
The Queer Palm organizes annually a selection of film projects led by first-time directors as part of the Queer Palm Lab.
The Queer Palm Lab, like the Queer Palm, is supported by the non-profit association Call Me Prod, registered at 81 Rue du Temple, Esc.B, 75003 Paris, under the legal status of the French law of 1901. SIRET Identification: 897 975 546 00010.
Article 2: Nature and Objectives
The Queer Palm Lab aims to support and promote a film production project dealing with queer themes or characters and/or offering a fresh perspective on gender norms.
The selected projects must be feature-length films.
Candidates should not have directed feature films released in theaters or presented at festivals. Therefore, it must be their first feature-length film.
Article 3: Candidates
Participation in the Queer Palm Lab is open to individuals of all nationalities and those considered adults in France (individuals over 18 years old).
Candidates should not have directed a feature film. Therefore, it must be their first feature-length film project.
Any candidate over 18 years old considered a minor in their country must provide a parental authorization attestation allowing them to participate.
Article 4: Eligibility Requirements
Each candidate must complete all mandatory categories in the administrative form to be eligible for selection.
Each candidate must provide a description of their feature-length film project, a synopsis of 6 to 10 pages. Additionally, each candidate must submit a CV with a photo and a 2-page letter detailing their motivations to develop the project and benefit from the Queer Palm Lab framework.
The synopsis, motivation letter, and CV must be submitted in French or English.
Participation in the selection requires the online submission of a complete application:
- On the dedicated platform accessible via the website queerpalm.org.
- The application must be submitted in PDF format.
- The registration fee of 70 euros must be paid (waivers are possible upon request if a lack of income is demonstrated).
- Every candidate undertakes to submit to the Queer Palm Lab a film project for which they are the author. No plagiarism will be tolerated.
- By participating, candidates guarantee the organizers and the selection committee against any possible claims from third parties regarding the originality of the presented work.
- In the event that the Queer Palm Lab selects a project from a candidate who is not the true author, and if the true author comes forward and takes action against the Queer Palm Lab, the latter reserves the right to take action against the candidate in turn.
- Any incomplete, non-compliant, or late application will be rejected.
Article 5: Selection Procedures
A reading committee will evaluate each application for the Queer Palm Lab.
Each member of the reading committee will assign a score to each project based on the following criteria:
- Queer themes and/or characters and innovative treatment
- Motivation and professional qualities of the project leaders
- Balance of the selection in terms of representation of territories, gender, etc.
The reading committee, in a plenary meeting, will present all received projects along with the evaluation sheet for each relevant project.
A ranking of projects based on the aforementioned criteria will be established. Approximately fifteen projects will be selected in the first round, and their authors will be invited to a virtual interview with designated representatives from the reading committee and the Queer Palm Lab. The five projects with the highest scores will be designated as winners, and their authors will be contacted to be informed of their selection for the Queer Palm Lab.
Article 6: Participation Procedures
Participation in the Queer Palm Lab requires an annual commitment from the laureates.
Therefore, laureates commit to participating in all personalized and collective support sessions offered by the Queer Palm Lab.
Laureates commit to keeping the Queer Palm informed about the progress of their project regularly and according to a jointly defined schedule, including producing video content to maintain interest throughout the year for both the public and professionals.
Laureates commit to being available and present during the residency (date and location to be determined) and participating in the Cannes Film Festival as a laureate of the Queer Palm Lab.
In case of non-compliance with the commitment to participation and involvement within the Lab, the Queer Palm Lab reserves the right to interrupt the support for the laureate and demand a reimbursement of part or all of the expenses incurred by the Queer Palm.
Article 7: Personal Data
In accordance with Law No. 78-17 of January 6, 1978, relating to data processing, files, and freedoms, participants in this competition have the right to access, modify, rectify, and delete data concerning them.
To exercise this right, the request should be addressed to the following email address:
Article 8: Access to the Regulations
This regulation is published on the Queer Palm website. It will also be provided to anyone who requests it from the coordinator of the Queer Palm Lab:
No information will be provided by phone.
The Queer Palm reserves the right to modify all or part of the regulations, provided that the new provisions are published.